Saturday, November 3, 2007

Introducing....

Sophia Lidet Baker!!!

That's right! We have our referral. Due to a few hiccups with our case, Amy and I had resigned ourselves to a December-January timeframe for our referral. Through God's blessing and the hard work of others, we were caught totally unaware at 10:20 a.m. Wednesday morning.

October 31 is a day that will live in our hearts and minds forever.


Her birthday is July 16, so she is just 3.5 months old; just touch under 10 pounds, but 24 inches long. And she had long fingers. And her eyes are just precious.

In reading the good news of other referrals, I have noticed a string of coincidences of dats and times, etc. We have some interesting ones as well:
  • Her birthday is July 16, same as Amy's Granddaddy (which just tickles him to death).
  • We received our referral on October 31, which is my dad's birthday.
  • She arrived at the Addis orphange on October 13, our anniversary...
  • She is named Lidet, which means "anniversary"

Amy was home on Wednesday, which started an any other unassuming Wednesday. I was in my office working a map when Amy rang. We usually talk around this time everyday, so I minimized my work, and as I answered something in my email caught my eye. There, in bold, black, unread typeface, "Baker family referral." My head and body was instantly numb. I asked her what was happening, I think I remember saying "I don't understand, what's happening?" She had tried calling just before that, but I had my headphones on and the phone on vibrate so I didn't hear the rattling.

We now understand how the simplest of tasks become cumbersome and almost impossible when adrenaline hits the body. Amy had wrestled the laptop attempting to open it and was having trouble opening the email and then the attachments. Our mouths were dry. And, there is not many other details I can recall for the next few hours.

I know I left vapor trails leaving my office and then the parking garage. I truly drove my path through town all by memory and instinct.

We meet at the top of our stairs for the deepest and stongest hug I have ever felt.

Then, I saw the beautiful face of out daughter for the first time.

We owe a debt of gratitude to all those who have offered the abundance of encouragement and prayers; thank you from the depths of our hearts.

We look forward to the next phase of our journey to finally join our daughter, was are glad we have you all to share it with.

May she stay in St. Brigid's cloak...

11 comments:

Our Beautiful Disaster said...

COngratulations on the referal!! What an exciting day. She's beautiful by the way!

Lindsey & Cortney said...

The story leaves chills all over and tears in the eyes. It is so crazy how you can't think about a thing when you hear, or see, those words. Wow, how amazing. I can't believe it still. The Lord knew this sweet one and all the hiccups in the world couldn't keep you from her. The three of you are in our prayers. Any word on court dates? We are still impatiently waiting on news of ours=(

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful - congratulations!! My tears started with the hug description. Best of luck on the next leg of waiting!

Dawn Sacre said...

Your coincidences gave me goosebumps! Congrats.. she is beautiful and I am so happy for you!

Jocelyn said...

YIPPEE!!!! I just found out, I am slacking on reading blogs this weekend!! She is sooooo beautiful and so tiny!! I love her pretty eyes:-) Keep us all posted on travel etc. and have fun getting ready to bring her home!! Isn't it the most amazing feeling seeing their face that first time!! I'll never forget that moment!!

Amy B. said...

Congratulations! I too have been busy and haven't kept up on blogs like I should. She is beautiful...just gorgeous! I hope you hear about a court date very soon! Blessings,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again guys!! You know that I'm already smitten with little Sophia Lidet and can't wait to meet her!

Danni and Tommy said...

Congrats! She is perfect! I am just so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something? ;)

LISA said...

Ahhh, Congratulations! She's sooo cute!

Amy B. said...

I saw that your ticker at the stop says 2 weeks until your court date. So...when did you find out about a court date? I just can't get over how cute your little girl is.
Amy